What do you do when you’re in a funk and you can’t seem to write, get the creative juices flowing, or get your mojo going?
I’m gonna be totally honest, here’s how my brain typically works (except for the money part):
Sometimes it’s way more active at night, and of course, most is forgotten in the morning.
What do I do when I’m in a dry spell?
How do I get the funk out of my trunk?
A few things that I’ve done:
1. Observe what’s happening around me. I call it the “Seinfeld affect.” Everyday life gives us so many opportunities for blog/writing fodder. And the simpler the things that happen, sometimes the better the material.
2. Watch a comedy or drama on tv. A show, a story line, or even one sentence out of your viewing can be enough to trigger your thought process.
3. Take a walk out in nature. If you’re near a beach – why yes, I am now, or the desert, mountains, or stream – soak it all in. Maybe a photo opportunity, or thought will come to mind.
4. Pull out a magazine and flip through the pages for something that grabs your attention. It might be something visual, or something written that strikes a spark.
5. For you artistic types: Grab your camera and look for shots that get the creative juices flowing. Or pull out the pastels, paintbrush, or pencil and put something on paper or canvas.
6. Reading other blogs is a fantastic source of inspiration. I’ve read one word in a blog, and totally ran with that word for a post that’s completely unrelated to what I read in the other person’s post. However, that one word was just what I was needing at the time. Very serendipitous!!
7. If I’m REALLY struggling – thankfully not very often – I’ll type in “prompts” in Google and see if anything gets me un- funk – ed.
Hopefully, one or more of these ideas is helpful in getting your mojo going again.
Don’t get discouraged – there’s no need to feel uninspired, or get frustrated.
What things do you do to get out of an uninspired funk?